1. Call and preside at all general, local council and executive meetings of this local association.
2. Keep track of meeting information and reports. Especially important to keep track of the information to be shared from meeting to meeting.
3. Keep meetings running. Ask parliamentarian (past president) for clarification as required.
4. Read mailings weekly. Note items requiring action.
5. Attend Annual Representative Assembly.
6. Make presentation of Educational Trust cheque on behalf of the teachers of the local at the Annual Representative Assembly.
7. Make presentation of Park Plains East Highest Academic Award.
8. Compose letter with executive-secretary at the end of August to be sent to school administration. (Contents: welcome, staff numbers--full and part-time, staff positions to be filled, identification of staff rep, identification of inductees and retirees, and graduating student information.)
9. Similarly compose letter with secretary introducing new executive to the Boards of Education.
10. Represent the local at events of the local, provincial association, and Boards of Education.
1. Keep accurate records of the proceedings of executive, local council and general meetings.
2. Ensure minutes are typed and circulated prior to the next meeting of that group.
3. Type and send correspondence as required.
4. Maintain copy of the mail received and note items requiring action.
5. Type, copy and send out executive, local council and general meeting agendas. (This needs to be done the week prior to that meeting.)
6. Prepare and send to the Alberta Teachers Association such statements and reports as required.
7. Compile information regarding the Park Plains East graduating students award.
8. Arrange for medallion and plaque purchase for the Park Plains East graduating students award.
9. Update local handbooks and policies as required. (Meeting dates, new policies, etc.)
10. Update executive handbooks as required.
11. Issue cheques as required.
12. Apply for grants-in-aid as available.
13. Issue Educational Trust cheque to president prior to the Annual Representative Assembly.
14. Change claim form as required.
15. Ensure to bring adequate number of claim forms to meetings of the executive and local council.
16. Keep track of local’s financial situation, and should at all times, be able to provide an accurate financial picture of the local.
1.Take charge of the affairs of this local association in the absence of the president.
2.Assist the president in the discharge of duties.
1. Serve as chair of the nominations committee if established.
2. Responsible for local elections at the spring general meeting. Three calls then elections to be held. Positions to be filled include:
Local Communications Officer
Local Political Engagement Officer
Economic Policy Committee Members
Annual Representative assembly Reps (6) President is the 7th
Convention Representatives (6)
4. Historian of the local. (Keep Local’s photo album up to date.)
(Note: The local’s fiscal year runs from September 1 to August 31.)
1. Create budget in conjunction with other members of the executive.
2. Keep track of local’s financial situation and provide appropriate advice when required, such as the case would be if there were insufficient funds to complete a project. The treasurer should at all times be able to provide an accurate financial picture of the local- i.e. know what is in savings and what is the committed and uncommitted equity.
3. Ensure that the local’s books are audited yearly. Presentation of this audited statement should be made at the fall general meeting of the local.
4. Ensure transfer of signing authority when required.
5. Ensure completion of financial reports for the provincial association.
6. Ensure honoraria is paid out.
Local Communication Officer
1. Produce local newsletters
2. Issue new releases to local press as required
3. Purchase advertisement space in local newspapers as required.
4. Update Local webpage
Local Political Engagement Officer
1. Issue information about political events to members.
2. Apply for grants as necessary or possible.
Welcome and good luck! Your efforts will help us be responsive to our members!!
Park Plains Info
PP Post / Links